Key Highlights of FSS (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, vide Gazette ID CG-DL-E-10122020-223635 issued dated 18.11.2020 and published in Gazette on 10.12.2020 has framed The Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020.
The Food Authority has decided to divide the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011into two regulations,- (i) the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging) Regulations, 2018; and (ii) the Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2019. FSSAI in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (k) of sub-section (2) of section 92, read with section 23 of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (34 of 2006) and in supersession of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India hereby makes the following regulations, namely:-
The Food Safety and Standards (Labelling and Display) Regulations, 2020.
Applicability: They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette and Food Business Operator shall comply with all the provisions of these regulations after one year from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette except chapter-3 of these regulations, to which Food Business Operator shall comply by 1st January, 2022.
- Any information or pictorial device written, printed, or graphic matter may be displayed on the label provided that it is not in conflict with the requirements of these regulations;
- The list of ingredients shall contain an appropriate title, such as the term “Ingredients/List of Ingredients”
- Every package of food shall carry name of the food which indicate the true nature of the food contained in the package, on the Front of Pack. It may additionally have a “coined”, “fanciful”, “brand” or “trade name” subject to compliance of Food Safety & Standards (Advertising and Claims) Regulation 2018.
- Added water shall be declared in the list of ingredients except in cases where water forms part of an ingredient, such as, brine, syrup or broth, used in the compound food and so declared in the list of ingredients.
- Veg – Logo: Every package of Vegetarian Food containing ingredients including food additives, processing aids of plant origin shall bear a declaration to this effect by a symbol and colour code as stipulated below. The symbol shall consist of a green colour filled circle inside a square with green outline having the diameter not less than the minimum size specified in the Table mentioned in the regulation 5 (4) (c), as indicated below:
- Size of the Logo:
- 7. Declaration regarding Veg. or Non-Veg shall also be prominently displayed as provided in this regulation on the pamphlets, leaflets and advertisements in any media. The symbol shall be prominently displayed on the package having contrast background on principal display panel, just close in proximity to the name or brand name of the production front of pack.
- 8. Legal Metrology Provisions Applicability : Net quantity, Retail Sale Price and Consumer Care details.- Declaration and manner of declaration of Net quantity, Retail Sale Price and Consumer Care details shall be as provided in Legal Metrology Act, 2009 (1 of 2010) and the Rules made there under.
- 9. “Date of manufacture or packaging” and “Expiry/Use by” shall be declared on the label. However, expression “Best before” may also be used as optional or additional information. “Date of manufacture or packaging” and “Expiry /Use by” shall be grouped together and given at one place
- 10. The height of any numeral and letter required under these regulations, on the principal display panel shall be as shown in table below:
the size of numeral and/or letters required for declaration of net weight, retail sale price, date of expiry or best before or the use by date (wherever and as applicable) and Consumer care details on the principal display panel shall be as provided in the Legal Metrology Act, 2009 (1 of 2010) and the rules made there under.
Disclaimer: Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to avoid errors or omissions in this material. In spite of this, errors may creep in. Any mistake, error or discrepancy noted may be brought to our notice which shall be taken care of in the next edition. In no event the author shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special or incidental damage resulting from or arising out of or in connection with the use of this information.